Skip to main content

How to Make Sugar Cubes

Whether you're looking for a fancy way to sweeten cups of tea or a cheap way to treat your horses, sugar cubes fit the bill. Follow this recipe to create your own sugar cubes at home.


  • Step 1: Carefully turn the ice cube tray over, and tap the bottom of each tray compartment to remove the sugar cube.
  • Step 2: Place the cubes on a dry, flat surface, being sure that none of the sugar cubes touch each other. Let them dry for an hour. Then stack them into igloos or pyramids to show your friends, or store them in an airtight container until your tea needs to be sweetened.
  • FACT: Around the globe, 112 nations produce sugar, creating over 120 million tons per year. Sugar cane is the source of 70 percent, with the remaining 30 percent coming from sugar beets.
  • TIP: Use candy molds instead of mini ice cube trays to form the sugar into whatever shape you want.
  • Step 3: Use your fingers to press the mixture firmly into the tray compartments. Be sure that the top of each cube is smooth.
  • TIP: Add food coloring to the water prior to mixing with the sugar to make colored sugar cubes.
  • Step 4: Add the sugar and water mixture to the mini ice cube trays, filling each part of the tray completely.
  • Step 5: Combine the sugar and water in a medium mixing bowl. Use a fork to stir the ingredients until it is well combined and looks like wet sand.

Popular Categories