This Valentine's Day, try hand-decorated cupcakes for a delicious way to say "I love you."
- Step 1: Roll the first 5 inches of one half of the fruit leather to make the center of a rose, and place it in the center of the cupcake. Continue loosely rolling the rest of the fruit leather at a slight angle to make the rest of the rose.
- TIP: [Present the cupcakes to your sweetheart] Make one of each type of Valentine's Day cupcake or a dozen of your favorite. Present the cupcakes to your sweetheart on a fancy serving tray, and let them know how much you love them.
- FACT: In 2009, a blog devoted to cupcakes called "Cupcakestakethecake" was visited by over 9,000 people per day.
- TIP: Use mini cupcakes to make smaller roses. This will require fewer fruit leather strips and make the roses look tighter and more realistic.
- Step 2: Make rose-covered cupcakes. Frost the top of the cupcake with white frosting. Unroll a red piece of fruit leather, and tear it in half down the wavy perforated line.
- Step 3: Make 2 antennae using short pieces of licorice pressed into the frosting beside the bug's face. Add sprinkles to the body.
- TIP: Try different licorice flavors to make each unique.
- Step 4: Make "Kiss and Hug" cupcakes. Frost the cupcakes with white icing, smoothing out the top. Then, fill a pastry bag with red icing and fit it with the decorating tip. Pipe the letter "X" on half of the cupcakes, and the letter "O" on the other half. Serve them in an alternating pattern.
- Step 5: Make a love bug cupcake. Frost a cupcake with white or red icing to create a smooth, dome-shaped top. Then, use a pen to draw a face on a wrapped chocolate heart, and stick the heart in the front of the cupcake to create the bug's face.