Make custom art to decorate that tired old wall and give your eyes something fun to look at. A wall decal you make yourself can express your own unique style.
- Step 1: Put the decal up to the wall to find the right placement for your design. Gradually pull off the backing as you press the design onto the wall.
- Step 2: Remove air bubbles with the license or plastic card as you press the vinyl onto the wall.
- Step 3: Continue drawing and cutting out your design until your wall decal is complete. Step back and enjoy the new view.
- FACT: The invention of PVC plastic was made by Waldo Semon, a chemist, in 1926.
- Step 4: Trace the design onto the vinyl with a marker, remove the stencil, and cut out the design.
- TIP: Taping the stencil down keeps it from slipping when tracing the design onto the vinyl.
- TIP: Testing the vinyl allows you to know if the vinyl will adhere -- or if it will stick too well and ruin your wall.
- Step 5: Draw your design with a pencil on newsprint or drawing paper to make a stencil.
- Step 6: Cut out the stencil and secure it to the non-sticky side of the vinyl with masking tape.
- Step 7: Test a small piece of the adhesive vinyl by sticking it firmly to an inconspicuous area of the wall, using a driver's license or plastic card to smooth it out. Peel it off and check to ensure that it is easily removed.