The easiest way to make your computer run faster is to properly maintain it. Here are some maintenance tips aimed at improving your computer's performance.
- Step 1: Install and run anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. Computer viruses and spyware both degrade a computer's performance.
- FACT: The computer is faster than the human brain at doing logical things and computations.
- TIP: Don't save encrypted web pages that require a password and user name. They require extra files that slow down your computer.
- Step 2: Optimize your web browser by reducing the size of your web page history. Storing more than a week's worth of old pages slows the computer's performance.
- Step 3: Eliminate temporary files. Your computer can pick up and store these files when you view web pages or work on files in programs.
- Step 4: If you have a Windows PC, defragment your hard drive regularly. Fragmentation occurs when file updates are stored away from other segments of the file.
- Step 5: Check for and repair disk errors on your computer. Errors are created on the computer's hard disk whenever a program crashes or you experience a power outage.