You don't want just anyone to know your business. Take control of who can see what with these simple steps.
- Step 1: Log into your Facebook account. From your home page, click the "Account" tab at the top right and click "Privacy Settings."
- Step 2: Click on the "Profile" link and use the drop-down menus to control who can view your profile information: everyone, your friends and networks, friends of friends, or only friends. Select "Customize" to restrict your settings to individual friends or lists of friends.
- TIP: The "Create" link on the left side of your home page allows you to organize your friends into lists.
- Step 3: Click on the "Contact Information" tab. Use the drop-down menus to manage access to your instant message screen name, phone numbers, address, web site, and e-mail address. When you're finished, click "Save Changes."
- Step 4: Back in "Privacy Settings," click on "Applications and Websites" and go to "What your friends can share about you." Uncheck any boxes next to information you don't want your friends' applications to be able to see, and save.
- Step 5: Go back to "Privacy Settings" and click "Search." Select who can find your profile when they search your name on Facebook. Then, choose whether people can find your profile using search engines outside of Facebook.
- TIP: Click "Preview My Profile" to view your profile as it appears to people on Facebook who aren't connected to you.
- Step 6: For total privacy, block a Facebook user from having any contact with you. Click "Block List" in your privacy settings. Type the person's name in the "Block People" section, hit the "Block" button, then click "Block Person" to the right of the profile you're blocking.
- Step 7: Under the "Account" tab at the top of the page, click "Application Settings" to adjust privacy controls for events, groups, links, photos, third-party apps, and more. Happy Facebooking!
- FACT: One in four stalking targets said they were harassed by e-mail, text message, or another form of cyber-stalking between 2005 and 2006.