Introducing a preteen girl to lingerie is a rite of passage shared by mother and daughter. Apply careful thought to the process and it will help your preteen establish sound lifelong purchasing decisions.
- Step 1: Choose panties, steering your preteen toward choices that are comfortable and fit well, whether they are a classic cut, bikini, or boy cut. Avoid thongs and lacy styles.
- Step 2: Make the shopping trip to pick your preteen bras and panties an event by taking her out to lunch, and celebrating her step into womanhood.
- FACT: More than 7 million television viewers tune in each year to watch the Victoria's Secret lingerie fashion show.
- Step 3: Consider fabric types when buying your preteen bras and panties, keeping in mind that cotton is always a practical choice, while satin fabrics also make good starter bras.
- TIP: Set budget limits before leaving home and make it clear to your preteen what you consider age-appropriate bras and panties.
- TIP: Comply with your preteen's wishes if she asks for a bra before she needs it to keep up with other girls.
- Step 4: Determine bra size by measuring your preteen's chest with a tape measure and using an online bra size calculator to learn what size to buy.
- Step 5: Take your preteen shopping for age-appropriate preteen lingerie, letting her decide whether she prefers cute trendy styles or simple sports bras.
- Step 6: Talk to your preteen about her need for bras when you notice puberty changes.