Whether you are throwing a party for someone else or hosting your own birthday, picking a theme is a big decision -- especially for a milestone like the big 3 - 0. Here are some ways to mark the special occasion.
- Step 1: If you're a little more laid back about your milestone, a cocktail party always does the trick. Have guests dress in more formal attire to make the occasion special and have the drinks and menu be the main attraction.
- Step 2: Don't limit the celebration to just one night! If you have a few friends that have a whole weekend free, plan a trip. Pick a location that is just far enough away to be an adventure but not so far that it will become a chore to get to. Do something wacky or wild, get the adrenaline pumping, or find a relaxing spot. Most of all, enjoy the event!
- FACT: In Argentina, the birthday child gets a tug on the earlobe for each year they have been alive.
- TIP: Put a time limit on the scavenger hunt so people aren't coming back just as others are heading home.
- Step 3: Be a little playful and create a list of 30 items that guests have to go find. Split your guests into teams and send them out. The team that gets the most items wins!
- Step 4: Turning 30 means something different than turning 16, but you can still use the theme! Make the “super sweet” concept more grown up by having a party that is all about desserts and sweet drinks. And you can still wear a tiara if you want.
- Step 5: Travel back in time by throwing a party themed to the decade, or specific year, that you were born. Hang posters of stars from that year and play only music that came out in that year or decade.
- TIP: Remember that you can fashion your menu and drinks to go along with your theme. Costumes are not the only option!