Camping poses hazards you don't encounter at home. Here are some ways to camp safely.
- Step 1: Keep a safe distance from wildlife.
- Step 2: Use insect repellent. Frequently check all members of your party -- including pets -- for ticks, removing any that you find. Enjoy the great outdoors.
- FACT: About 7,000 people are bitten by venomous snakes each year in the U.S.
- Step 3: Avoid over-exposure to the sun. Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants, a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses. Use sunscreen.
- TIP: Never leave a campfire unattended. Make sure your fire is out when you are away from camp.
- TIP: Carry appropriate safety gear for any activities you plan to participate in on the trip.
- Step 4: Do not use any equipment -- gas stoves, heaters, lanterns, or charcoal grills -- that emit carbon monoxide in any tent or enclosed area.
- Step 5: Prepare well for the trip. Pack plenty of food and beverages, appropriate clothing, and a first-aid kit.