Want everybody to know your name? Practice these self-promotion tips and you'll become a household name before you know it.
- Step 1: Become a networking hub. Promote friends and colleagues to one another -- you'll keep your name in front of potential contacts and create incentive for others to help you in the future.
- Step 2: Follow up with contacts you make and keep searching for new opportunities to show off your skills. Make sure you deliver on any promises you make: no act of self-promotion speaks louder than getting results.
- FACT: According to a 2010 study, guys with narcissistic personalities practice self-promotion on Facebook mostly through personal descriptions while narcissistic women use photos.
- Step 3: Be a good listener as well as a good talker. Too much self-promotion can be worse than no promotion at all.
- TIP: Use common sense to know when it's inappropriate to practice self-promotion.
- Step 4: Practice speaking about your strengths out loud to refine your promotional talking points. Always represent your accomplishments honestly -- don't cross the line from self-promotion to obnoxious exaggeration.
- TIP: Tailor the facts you share to your audience for maximum impact.
- Step 5: After you've honed your message, start promoting yourself online and in person. Have business cards on hand and a resume and other promotional materials ready to share with potential contacts.
- Step 6: Make a list of your abilities, including qualities that separate you from competitors. Consider what potential references would say about you to help you pick out worthy points.