Ensure that your wedding dress fits like a glove and makes you look spectacular by following these steps.
- Step 1: Invite an eagle-eyed friend or family member to your fittings and ask them to point out any areas of the dress that need to be adjusted. A bit of perspective can make all the difference.
- Step 2: Don't be afraid to speak up if you are not pleased with any aspect of how the dress fits. Otherwise, you will be stuck forever holding your peace.
- FACT: Queen Victoria made the white wedding gown fashionable when she was married in one in 1840.
- Step 3: Prepare a list of questions in advance so you can cover your bases. Ask your tailor how to treat stains and wrinkles for your particular fabric and make sure you have a clear idea of how to bustle your train.
- Step 4: Purchase your bridal accessories, such as your veil, shoes, bra, and any other special undergarments before the first fitting. Wear them during the fitting so your tailor can adjust the length, fit, and bustle of your gown for a perfect look.
- TIP: Tell your tailor that your wedding is a week earlier than it actually is to avoid any last-minute rushing around.
- Step 5: Get into wedding-day shape before your first fitting and maintain your weight until your wedding day. Weight fluctuations can leave you uncomfortable in a too-loose or too-tight dress.
- Step 6: Schedule your first gown fitting at least 6 weeks before your wedding day to allow time for the multiple fittings you will likely need.