Fast food doesn't always have to be more about the "fast" than the food. Find ways to make food quickly and easily, and eat healthy, too.
- Step 1: Whip up chicken tortilla soup. Rub chicken breasts with olive oil and bake for 35 minutes. Shred by hand into chicken stock in a Dutch oven with a 28-ounce can of tomatoes and puree, mixing with two cups each of chopped onions and carrots, one of celery. Heat on medium and you're done in under an hour.
- TIP: Steam vegetables whenever you can to preserve nutritional enzymes in each serving.
- Step 2: Make zucchini bread. Grate 2 cups zucchini into a bowl, adding 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon each of nutmeg and cinnamon, 2 of baking soda, 4 eggs, and 3 cups sugar. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and stir in 1/3 cup of water, and form loaves. Bake at 350 degrees for only 45 minutes.
- FACT: According to a National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 62 percent of respondents said they read the nutrition facts panels when deciding whether to buy a food product.
- Step 3: Chop cilantro, parsley, adding ginger mixed with coriander, tomatoes, salt, and corn in vegetable oil to make a relish. Place bass strips on pieces of foil, cover with the relish, and seal, leaving room for heat circulation. Bake the foil wraps at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Step 4: Prepare seared chicken with apricot sauce. Pound trimmed, skinless breasts of chicken and brown at medium heat in a skillet. Add 3/4 of a cup of white wine and two tablespoons of apricot preserves.
- TIP: Be aware that fat-free cheese has chemicals and full-fat cheese contains saturated fats.
- Step 5: Trim the fat on 8 ounce, half-inch thick steaks, sprinkling with chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes per side on medium heat in a skillet with a teaspoon of olive oil. Stir in cilantro and accumulated juices mixed with 2 diced plum tomatoes and cover in salsa.
- Step 6: Combine 12 ounces of ground beef, 1 cup refried beans, and a half cup of cilantro into oblong patties. Broil 12 to 14 minutes. Mix avocado, salsa and garlic into a paste, adding it to lettuce and shredded cheese on a tortilla shell, and wrap.
- Step 7: Make open-faced, whole grain English muffin pizzas using tomato sauce from a jar. Sprinkle it with shredded mozzarella cheese, basil, green pepper, onion, and chicken chunks. Place under a broiler until cheese is melted.