Learn how to make these simple, delicious finger food treats at home with this easy-to-follow recipe.
- Step 1: Assemble the roll by laying down the mint, cilantro, and basil leaves in a row on the rice sheet, top with the rice vermicelli and mushrooms. Finish the spring roll with the lettuce, cucumber, and carrot.
- TIP: Work with one sheet at a time, fill, and assemble the roll before repeating the process to prevent the sheets from drying out or sticking.
- Step 2: Shape the mixture into a log with your hands, fold one side over the filling, tuck in the corners, and roll the rice paper into a tight cylinder to form a perfect spring roll. Repeat the steps for the desired amount of rolls, and enjoy!
- FACT: Rice has been documented as a food as far back as 2500 BCE.
- Step 3: Cut another rice sheet in half and dip it in the warm water. Lay the half sheet vertically across the first softened rice sheet to add strength.
- Step 4: Fill a large bowl with warm water and submerge one sheet of the rice paper until it softens. Place it on a plate to dry.
- TIP: If you cannot find rice vermicelli noodles, feel free to substitute with vermicelli pasta.
- Step 5: Prepare the shiitake mushrooms by trimming off the stems, slicing them thin, and sauteing in a skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Step 6: Peel, seed, and slice the cucumber and carrot into matchstick-sized strips. Shred the lettuce into similar strips and set aside.
- Step 7: Prepare the rice noodles for your spring rolls according to the package directions and set aside to cool and drain.