Watching your baby suffer is miserable for both of you. Follow this advice to keep your kid regular.
- Step 1: Choose barley cereal instead of rice cereal. Rice will tend to be more binding.
- Step 2: Add a little extra water to their diet. But, make sure they are still getting the recommended amount of formula or breast milk. When in doubt contact your pediatrician.
- FACT: Babies born with Hirschsprung's disease have an absence of ganglion cells in the colon that causes constipation.
- Step 3: Delay feeding your baby solid foods. This will give their digestive system more time to mature and handle processing heavier substances.
- TIP: Give apple juice instead. It contains more sugars and liquids and usually has a slight laxative effect in infants.
- TIP: Try feeding pureed peaches, pears, plums, prunes, apricots, peas, and spinach.
- Step 4: Avoid feeding your baby a lot of applesauce. Apples contain pectin which causes stool to harden.
- Step 5: Feed your baby a healthy high fiber diet. It will help keep the little one's bowel movements regular.