Once a baby starts to crawl, the whole world is an exciting -- and dangerous -- new playground. Protect your baby from falls by using these safety measures.
- Step 1: Childproof sharp edges of cribs, furniture, and counter tops with protective padding, just in case the fall can't be prevented.
- TIP: Always keep emergency phone numbers close to the phone.
- Step 2: Supervise children at all times to keep them safe. Enjoy protecting them and watching as they grow strong and healthy!
- FACT: An estimated 2.5 million children aged 14 and younger are injured in falls each year.
- Step 3: Prevent injury by applying non-slip mats on loose carpeting, stairs, and on the bottom of a bathtub.
- Step 4: Secure furniture by getting L-brackets to attach the furniture to walls. Also secure doors and cabinets by installing doorknob covers and childproof locks.
- Step 5: Prevent falls by avoiding danger -- never put a child on top of furniture or counter tops.
- TIP: A baby's movement can cause their bouncer or infant seat to tip over, causing serious injury.
- Step 6: Keep your house and stairs clear of clutter to prevent tripping and falling. Install safety gates to prevent tumbles down stairs.
- Step 7: Reduce the risk of injury by strapping your child securely when using a car seat, shopping cart, highchair, stroller, or changing table.