That old rule is so last season. Feel free to rock white after Labor Day – just follow a few new-school rules.
- Step 1: Layer a basic white T-shirt under a cardigan or blazer. The white peeking out actually has a slimming effect.
- Step 2: Don white denim. White jeans look clean and cool year round. Pair them with dark, chunky sweaters, blazers, or turtlenecks and wear them with dark boots or animal print flats.
- FACT: Emily Post's Etiquette, 17th Edition, considered the manners bible by many, officially gives the go-ahead to wear white after Labor Day.
- Step 3: Stand out in a sea of black by wearing a white brocade cocktail dress. The heavier fabric brings white into fall but shows off your Indian summer glow.
- TIP: Don't wear a white linen dress or pants. Linen of any color should be packed away at the end of summer.
- Step 4: Punch up basic black with white accessories, like a white metallic watch or an oversize white leather bag. In winter, add a white knit hat, scarf, or boots to dramatize a dark peacoat.
- Step 5: Top a black dress with a long, white cashmere coat or a trench coat to make it pop. Wear a white, fur-trimmed down vest or white faux fur vest with jeans for a casual, chic weekend look.