Preserve your Christmas ornament collection with safe storage measures so your decorations can remain a precious part of your family's holiday traditions.
- Step 1: Add a layer of bubble wrap or waded paper as a top layer of padding before you store the ornaments, and add a silica gel desiccant pouch to protect against moisture.
- TIP: Gently shake containers after closing to make sure your ornaments are securely packed.
- Step 2: Label the outside of the containers and store them in an area free from vermin or temperature and humidity extremes. Now, take a minute to relish your Christmas memories before looking forward to a great year to come.
- FACT: Christmas was first declared a federal holiday in 1870.
- TIP: Use acid-free tissue paper to wrap antique ornaments.
- Step 3: Wrap ornaments individually with your chosen material and place each in a container with plenty of cushioning to keep it immobile.
- TIP: Save used Christmas gift paper to wrap ornaments for storage.
- Step 4: Remove ornaments from your tree and organize them on a soft surface in the order they will be hung next Christmas.
- Step 5: Wipe ornaments clean, softly blow away dust, use a feather duster, or dust them with a small paint brush.
- Step 6: Check the tree to make sure you haven't overlooked an ornament hiding in the branches.
- Step 7: Gather wrapping materials like tissue paper, shredded paper, or bubble wrap, and suitable storage containers such as empty egg cartons, plastic cups, shoe boxes, and divided plastic or cardboard boxes.