Put energy-saving tips into practice at your workplace and you'll not only make your working environment greener, you'll help your company become a conservation leader in the community.
- Step 1: Properly maintain all work appliances, equipment, and machinery, and keep bay doors closed when they're not in use.
- Step 2: Use programmable thermostats to save energy when the building is empty and keep room temperatures at moderate levels.
- TIP: Select efficient EnergyStar equipment when making new purchases.
- Step 3: Unplug phone chargers when they're not in use and use power strips to easily turn off electronics at the end of a day. Energy saving choices large and small add up to a greener world and more sustainable future for us all.
- FACT: In 2009, the iconic Empire State Building began a retrofitting process that was expected to cut its energy use by 38 percent.
- Step 4: Cut excess packaging by using the right size package and making sure your shipper's operations are efficient.
- Step 5: Store information digitally and use recycled paper, printing only when necessary to save energy at the workplace and in the paper production process.
- Step 6: Place work desks near windows to make use of natural lighting and turn off lights when they're not needed.
- TIP: Install fluorescent light bulbs.
- Step 7: Set computers to Sleep Mode when employees are away from their desks, at night, and on weekends.
- TIP: Coordinate computer back-up schedules with the appropriate staff member.
- Step 8: Conserve energy with your commute by taking public transportation, carpooling, biking, or walking.