Tough times mean cutting down on the nonessentials. But having to budget doesn't mean you have to do without. Keep your family entertained on the cheap.
- Step 1: Keep your eyes peeled for discount admissions and free events going on in the community. After all, the best things in life are free, right?
- FACT: In the first quarter of 2010, the average movie ticket in the United States cost $7.95.
- TIP: Alternate babysitting duties with another couple with children to save money on a babysitter.
- Step 2: Have a happy hour drink and get some small plates of food to go with it. Bars and restaurants usually have discounted prices on food during happy hour.
- Step 3: Cancel your cable. Get rid of it all together, or at least ditch those premium channels.
- Step 4: Hit the library to find DVDs that you can borrow for free instead of paying to rent videos or going to the movies.
- Step 5: Go outside to find free and fun activities. As a bonus, these activities can be good exercise, too.