Forget strumming that guitar, blowing that trumpet or beating those drums and learn to make beautiful music with your voice.
- TIP: Before starting a practice, warm up your instrument with vocal exercises.
- Step 1: Call area churches, schools, and cafes and ask if your group can perform for them.
- FACT: Did you know? All hymns for the first 1,000 years of Christianity were sung a cappella.
- Step 2: Practice with your group.
- Step 3: Assign each group member a part of the song you’ve chosen to perform. Many a cappella groups consist of a lead vocalist, a bass or low voice, a baritone, and a tenor voice.
- Step 4: Learn the different vocal parts of the song by listening carefully to the recording.
- Step 5: Find others in your area that are interested in a cappella and join them to create an a cappella group. Try a church, school, or music store.
- Step 6: Listen to a cappella examples in the many forms it comes in, including barbershop, doo wop, gospel, and more.