Learn to skin a squirrel safely and effectively with these tips.
- Step 1: Lay the pelt out, fur side down, and cover in a thick layer of salt. Allow the salt to sit for a day.
- TIP: Give a gentle tug when you get to the tail to separate the pelt from the tailbone.
- TIP: Pour salt into the tail to dry it out or the fat and tissue inside of it will cause it to rot.
- Step 2: Remove the salt and scrape the hide with a knife to remove any dried fat or tissue. Repeat the salt process each day until the hide is hard.
- FACT: Squirrels are common on every continent except Antarctica and Australia.
- Step 3: Throw away the used rags and gloves. Clean your cutting board and knife thoroughly. Now that you've finished skinning your squirrel, take some pictures of yourself with your project or consider mounting the squirrel in your guest room to impress your friends.
- Step 4: Grab the head of the squirrel with one hand and the skin at the back of the neck with the other. Peel the skin off the back and legs by pulling down towards the tail.
- Step 5: Cut the skin away from the neck of the squirrel, below the head.
- Step 6: Spread out the squirrel carcass on a cutting board on top of rags. Make the squirrel as flat as possible, belly up.
- Step 7: Put on a pair of latex gloves before handling the dead squirrel.
- TIP: If the body is stiff, you will need to take a few extra minutes to spread out the squirrel's legs.
- Step 8: Cut the squirrel open with a very sharp knife, beginning at the chin and ending at the anus. Make four incisions across each leg to the feet from the central incision, and then cut around each ankle.
- TIP: You may need to use the knife to separate the meat from the pelt by dragging the blade on the inside of the pelt along any connective tissue.
- Step 9: Peel the skin away from the central incision at a 90 degree angle to remove the skin from the belly of the squirrel.
- : Squirrel excrement can carry diseases such as leptospirosis and salmonella. Take extreme caution when handling these animals, dead or alive.