The next time someone posts something inflammatory just to rile people up, know how to smack them down -- and have some fun in the process.
- Step 1: Exasperate them by limiting your responses to neutral utterances like "huh" and "hmmm."
- Step 2: Tired of toying with your troll? Issue the ultimate smackdown: Report them to the moderator, who has the power to ban them from the online community.
- FACT: A "patent troll" is a person or company that purchases a patent just so they can sue another company for selling a product that infringes on the patent.
- Step 3: If you've got some time, compose a long-winded, completely nonsensical reply -- just to mess with them.
- Step 4: Wanna have a little fun? Respond as if you totally misunderstood what they said. If you really want to needle them, pretend you think they're agreeing with you.
- TIP: The acronym DFTT means "don't feed the trolls."
- Step 5: Can't hold your tongue? Be annoyingly polite. Trolls want to enrage you; don't give them the satisfaction.
- TIP: Don't bother arguing with a troll; they're not interested in having a legitimate debate.
- Step 6: Ignore them. It's the worst thing you can do to a troll, whose sole purpose is to start a so-called "flame war" by provoking angry responses.