Got a passion for fashion? With a little creativity and a lot of drive, you can turn your hobby into a business.
- Step 1: Find retails outlets where you can sell your line. Bring samples to boutiques or set up shop at local events, like flea markets or community fairs.
- Step 2: Create a web site to market your brand and provide a look book.
- TIP: Consider setting up an online retail store to expand your business.
- Step 3: Send a press release to local news outlets and fashion blogs announcing the launch of your line. Reach out to friends and family to ask them to talk up your line to their friends and networks, and use social-networking sites to promote it further. Good luck!
- FACT: Italian fashion designer Miuccia Prada also has a PhD in political science.
- Step 4: Contract with a few clothing manufacturers to make samples. Choose the best manufacturer, and order the finalized line from them.
- Step 5: Determine an operating budget, including costs for production, advertising, and web site maintenance. Register as a DBA or LLC business to conduct financial transactions in your clothing line’s name.
- Step 6: Before sketching any designs, determine your customer base. Targeting a specific audience will help focus the line and help you determine a price range.
- Step 7: Choose a creative, original name for your brand. Make sure it reflects the style you've chosen and speaks to the customer you're targeting.
- TIP: Conduct a search to make sure the name is available; if it is, register it online.
- Step 8: Design your clothing. Don't do too many things at once or jump into mass production. Focus on the building blocks of the line.
- Step 9: Choose an overarching style for your line. This helps create a cohesive image for your collection.