Spring break can be the time of your life. But if you're not safe, it can be miserable. Take steps to make sure your trip is memorable for the right reasons.
- Step 1: Don't drink and drive. Drunk driving is dangerous anywhere, but penalties can be even more severe in foreign places, especially during spring break. Taking a cab is the safest bet, especially if you're unfamiliar with the area.
- Step 2: Know where you are and where you're going. Carry a map and familiarize yourself with the area. Don't risk getting lost -- especially at night. Remain safe on your trip so you can have great memories of your wild spring break for the rest of your life.
- FACT: Mexico is the most popular spring break destination among North American college students.
- Step 3: Always have a condom with you -- guys and girls alike. Spring break can be a crazy time, and alcohol often leads to poor decisions. If you wind up having sex with a stranger, at least be safe about it.
- Step 4: Never let your drink out of your sight. Get your drinks directly from the bartender, and bring your drink onto the dance floor and into the bathroom. It only takes a second for a stranger to tamper with a cocktail.
- Step 5: Leave your contact information with other people -- and not just people in your group. Make sure you let people know where you'll be at all times -- including parents and friends at home -- so they'll be able to help in case of an emergency.
- TIP: Make sure to leave your flight information, hotel details, contact info for other people on the trip, and the length of your trip with family and friends at home.
- Step 6: Be inconspicuous when you go out. Don't wear flashy jewelry and clothes, and don't carry a lot of cash. The less attention you attract, the less likely you are to find yourself in trouble.
- Step 7: Use the buddy system. Never go out alone, and, if you go out in a large group, find one or two other people and help each other to make sure you don't get separated. Keep an eye on each other at clubs and see that you make it safely from place to place.