Ready to take a whack at corporate America's glass ceiling? You are woman -- time to roar!
- Step 1: Promote yourself -- hard work alone won't lead to promotions. Contribute to high profile assignments or volunteer to make presentations. Become the go-to person in your specific area to earn respect and trust.
- Step 2: Find a personal and professional balance -- long hours and high-stress jobs are associated with depression. Designate work-free time for friends and family and alone time to help you stay motivated and happy as you advance your career.
- FACT: As of May 2010, 15 _Fortune_ 500 companies had female CEOs.
- TIP: Join a nonprofit organization for corporate women to build your network.
- Step 3: Build a network of professional women in your organization and beyond -- meet regularly to discuss issues and offer advice. Find an accomplished woman in your field to serve as a mentor.
- Step 4: Develop effective communication skills. Speak and write clearly and directly, don't allow people to interrupt you, and avoid apologizing unless you've made a mistake.
- Step 5: Wear clothing that's appropriate for corporate America to show that you take work seriously. But you don't have to dress like a man -- it's ok to retain your femininity.
- TIP: Don't stand for sexual discrimination no matter how you dress.
- Step 6: Take a job at a large company to gain hands-on familiarity with corporate America's unwritten rules for success. Look for a position with room to advance so you can develop and showcase leadership skills.