While it is best to avoid being attacked by a dog, it's important to know what to do if you are attacked.
- TIP: Execute this step safely and defensively -- it is dangerous because the dog may end up on top of you.
- Step 1: Curl up in a fetal position and roll tightly into a ball if nothing else works. Cover your head and lie still, not making any sound until the dog goes away.
- FACT: More than 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year.
- Step 2: Grab one of the dog's hind legs and try to flip it onto its back to gain the upper hand in a fight with a dog.
- Step 3: Fight back. Gouge the dog's eyes or try to strangle it. Carry pepper spray and spray it into the dog's eyes.
- Step 4: Put something between your body and the dog if you are attacked. Grab anything available, such as a stick or a coat.
- TIP: Cover your face and neck with your arms. Better the dog bite your arm than your face or neck.
- Step 5: Don't try to pull a limb out from the dog's jaws. Instead, try to force it down the animal's throat, choking the dog. If you have a stick, force it down the dog's throat.
- Step 6: Try to avoid or prevent an attack as a first measure. Don't look a stray dog in the eyes, bother a dog that is sleeping or eating, make sudden movements, or turn your back on a potentially threatening dog.