You can live through a pandemic if you have the right supplies and keep your wits about you.
- Step 1: Get away from large cities. Go to the most rural retreat you can find. A pandemic will affect urban centers first, so, once you've gathered supplies, try to find someplace away from other people, who are potential carriers.
- Step 2: Consider how you will defend yourself and your family in a worst-case scenario. If supplies become scarce, you may have to guard your belongings and supplies against desperate survivors. With proper preparations, your family need not become a statistic among the pandemic's victims.
- FACT: The 1918 influenza pandemic was responsible for killing over 50 million people worldwide.
- Step 3: Avoid gatherings and stay away from crowds. If you have any planned events or engagements, cancel them.
- Step 4: Protect yourself and your family by wearing gloves and respirators, as well as keeping other medical supplies on hand, such as a blood pressure monitor.
- Step 5: Stockpile vaccines if any exist. Antiviral drugs can be effective defenses against outbreaks of influenza, such as avian or swine flu.
- TIP: Drugs for nausea, fever, pain, and muscle aches are also a good idea.
- Step 6: Be prepared to be totally self-reliant. Most services will be interrupted, and you won't have anyone else to count on. Stockpile essential supplies. You'll need nonperishable food, bottled water, prescription medication, a power source, batteries, a radio, cash, and anything else you won't be able to do without.