Small apartments have big advantages, once you know how to make the best use of your space.
- TIP: Add shelves wherever you can. Shelves maximize storage space, allowing you more room to roam the apartment.
- Step 1: Now use the time you’ll save by cleaning a small apartment to take day trips, or long walks around your neighborhood.
- FACT: Did you know? The movie The Apartment, starring Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine, won the 1960 Academy Award for Best Picture.
- Step 2: Place a hanging shoe rack on a closet door, and install a shelf above the rod in your closet.
- Step 3: Place hooks in hallways and closets to create more storage space.
- Step 4: When you're decorating, choose colors that are lighter and blend evenly to make the space appear larger. Use the same colors throughout the apartment.
- Step 5: Utilize the space wisely from floor to ceiling with tall bookcases, tall headboards with shelves, and tall mirrors on doors.
- TIP: Adding a large mirror onto a wall will deepen the appearance of a room, and can add light if situated across from a window.
- Step 6: Measure each room and choose your furniture according to each room’s size. Most small apartments weren’t designed for 52-inch televisions and sectional sofas.