If you ever find yourself facing a herd of animals headed straight for you, there are things you can do to avoid a tragic fate.
- TIP: This is also a good method for protecting yourself if a herd of people is stampeding toward you.
- FACT: James Earl Jones voiced Mufasa, a lion who dies in a stampede in the 1994 movie The Lion King.
- Step 1: Cover your face and head with your arms if you have taken the lying down route.
- Step 2: If you can't get to cover or up a tree, just lie down. This seems counter-intuitive, but animals will avoid stepping on you if they think you pose no threat.
- Step 3: Climb up a tree. Remember that the animals aren't necessarily stampeding toward you, just in your direction. They will avoid running into a tree.
- TIP: Instead of a tree, you could also head for water in some cases. Giraffes, for instance, will not run into the water.
- Step 4: Do not run. Well, don't run with the animals that is. Most animals can run much faster than humans. You will not outrun or keep up with them, and you'll likely meet a gory death beneath their hooves.