If you and your partner have agreed that you want to experiment with establishing an open relationship, learn how to establish some ground rules so that you are both comfortable with your arrangement.
- Step 1: Block out what other people are telling you. This isn't a typical relationship, but you aren't trying to make everyone happy -- just each other. This could end up being just the situation you have always wanted, as long as you do it right.
- FACT: The book _Open: Love, Sex & Life in an Open Marriage_ by Jenny Block won a 2008 Lambda Literary Award.
- Step 2: Keep the lines of communication open. You don't have to go into the details of all your hookups, but you should continue to discuss if the setup is working.
- TIP: An open relationship is a lifestyle choice that works for some. It is not a repair tool for those unions that are, for all intents and purposes, already over.
- Step 3: Set up some guidelines that you both most follow. For example, designate who the encounters can't be with or where or when they can't take place.
- Step 4: Be sure that this is what you both truly want. If you aren't both fully on board, it will never work.