You don't need to live near the ocean to catch sick waves. Learn to tarp surf and tear up the asphalt.
- Step 1: As the wave crests, jump on the skateboard and skate towards the opposite side. Surf under the tarp wave's barrel, keeping your balance and bending down to avoid getting buried under the wave and wiping out.
- Step 2: Stretch out the tarp again and practice until you can bomb through and shred plastic like an experienced tarp surfer.
- FACT: In 2009, 110 surfers in South Africa set a record by riding the same wave simultaneously.
- Step 3: Have a friend stand at the top of the diamond, grab the tarp, and raise their arm straight above their head. Have them run toward the bottom of the diamond, turning the tarp into a barrel-like wave.
- Step 4: Face the tarp so it looks like a diamond, and weigh down the corners to the left and right, leaving the top and bottom corners free. Place the skateboard on the plastic, just below one of the weighted corners.
- Step 5: Lay the tarp on a large area of blacktop, leaving 5 to 10 feet of asphalt on every side of the plastic to ensure you can surf safely.
- TIP: You can use any size tarp, but the larger the tarp, the bigger the waves.
- : Always wear protective clothing, including a helmet, wrist guards, elbow pads, kneepads, and appropriate footwear.