You're so hip that you know the next cool thing before it's even invented. Does that make you a hipster? Here's a guide that will settle that question once and for all.
- Step 1: Ask yourself if you have the disaffected, "cooler-than-thou" attitude that is the hallmark of a hipster. If so, add a point.
- Step 2: Does your nightlife routine frequently include you attending disorganized parties held in overcrowded lofts or artist spaces in dodgy neighborhoods? That's a point.
- Step 3: Add up your points to get your total. If you scored at least 4, congratulations, you're a hipster. If you scored a perfect 9, you're probably the hippest person around.
- FACT: The South by Southwest festival is an annual music and film festival held in Austin, Texas, that showcases a host of up-and-coming indie bands and films.
- Step 4: Take a look at your interests and activities. Do you wear symbols or engage in pastimes that promote an ironically working-class image? If so, add a point to your score.
- Step 5: Consider whether you're vegan, bisexual, or politically liberal. If you answered yes to all, or at least feel guilty for saying no, you get a point.
- TIP: Give yourself another point if you knew about all of these bands before they "went mainstream."
- Step 6: Pinpoint your location on a map. If you live in a city, give yourself another point. Hipsters tend to be urban dwellers rather than country mice.
- Step 7: Look at your clothing. If you are wearing at least one article or accessory that is second-hand, vintage, or hand-knit, you've scored a point.
- TIP: Pairing your vintage or hand-knit clothes with tight-fitting jeans, a pair of Chuck Taylors, and some thick-rimmed glasses or oversized headphones? That's a point.
- Step 8: Name the top 10 indie bands of the last 5 years, and one piece of trivia about each of them. If that's no problem, you may be a hipster. Give yourself one point.