An unplanned pregnancy can be startling, to say the least. But take a deep breath and tell your boyfriend—he deserves to know, and you deserve his support.
- TIP: Don’t take it personally if he expresses disbelief—no doubt you were in denial when you first suspected, too.
- Step 1: Let him know that you’ll need his support as you consider your options.
- Step 2: If your mind is made up, share this with him—but tell him you reserve the right to change your mind.
- FACT: At-home pregnancy tests generally can’t detect a pregnancy until ten days or more after conception.
- Step 3: Allow the news to sink in.
- Step 4: Avoid starting off on a negative note, as in, “I have some bad news.” Emphasize the shared nature of the predicament—say “We’re pregnant” instead of “I’m pregnant.”
- TIP: When you follow the directions carefully, at-home pregnancy tests are 99% accurate.
- Step 5: Practice breaking the news to your boyfriend. The goal is to reach the point where you can convey the information somewhat calmly.
- Step 6: Don’t put off telling him, but do wait for the right opportunity—ideally, in person, in a quiet setting where you won’t be rushed or disrupted. Don’t even think about delivering the news by email or text.
- Step 7: Make sure you’re really pregnant. Menstrual cycles can get thrown off for many reasons, so don’t subject yourself and your guy to unnecessary drama. Take an easy-to-read at-home pregnancy test.