A sty will usually go away within a couple of days, but those days can be painful. Use these remedies to help relieve the discomfort.
- Step 1: Use a nonprescription treatment, such as ointment, eye drops, and medicated pads. Ask your doctor or pharmacist which product is best.
- Step 2: Contact your doctor if you suffer vision problems, or if the sty becomes very painful or does not improve within three days with home treatment.
- FACT: Styes occur when bacteria grows in the root of an eyelash causing an infection.
- TIP: Throw away any eye cosmetics that may have been infected to avoid recurring infection.
- Step 3: Avoid wearing eye cosmetics and contact lenses until the sty has healed. Wash your hands frequently and avoid touching the eye.
- TIP: Never try to pop or squeeze a sty.
- Step 4: Repeat the process three to six times a day. The warm water will relieve the pain and open pores so the sty can drain and begin to heal.
- Step 5: Apply a clean, warm washcloth to the sty until the washcloth begins to cool, about 5 to 10 minutes.