If gravity is stretching your smile, follow these tips to help you treat loose, sagging skin.
- Step 1: Lift weights to stimulate muscle growth. This can help by filling out and firming your skin.
- Step 2: Eat good fats, which will help your body produce a skin-smoothing protein called collagen. Healthy fats include avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil.
- Step 3: Talk to your doctor about noninvasive procedures, such as infrared or laser treatments to stimulate collagen development, Botox treatments, which remove lines and wrinkles, or a chemical peel, which removes the top layer of skin.
- FACT: In 2007, scientists developed a technique to reprogram skin cells in a mouse to act like stem cells.
- TIP: If you have enlarged pores, ask a doctor about a prescription for Retin-A.
- Step 4: Use an over-the-counter, active treatment, like vitamin A cream, vitamin C serum, or alpha hydroxyl.
- Step 5: Keep your skin clean and use sun block all year round.
- Step 6: Use a daily moisturizer best suited to your skin type to firm your skin.
- TIP: Some moisturizers will clog pores, so if you have oily skin, use an oil-free or non-greasy cream.
- : Always talk to your doctor before making diet or exercise changes.