Shingles is a virus that attacks the nerves and causes blistering and a lot of pain. Use these tips to help soothe your symptoms.
- Step 1: Keep the area clean. Treatment and plenty of rest will have you up and pain-free in no time.
- FACT: The virus that causes chickenpox also causes shingles.
- Step 2: Do not keep the blisters covered with clothing or blankets, if possible. The skin needs air to help it heal.
- Step 3: Try to apply calamine lotion to the blisters to relieve itching. You can also crush 2 aspirin and mix them with 2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol. This paste can be applied to the blisters to relieve pain.
- TIP: Get plenty of sleep while you are recovering from shingles. Your body needs rest to fight the problem.
- Step 4: Use cold compresses on the blisters to take away the pain. Do 10 minutes on and 5 off with an ice pack every couple of hours.
- Step 5: Relax to lessen the pain of the shingles. Try reading or watching a movie to distract your mind.