They say that when one door closes, another opens, but if you want to be proactive about it, recycle that old door into a coat rack.
- Step 1: Mount the door to your wall horizontally, using a method appropriate for your wall.
- Step 2: Don't forget to hang your hat or coat!
- FACT: NASA's Vehicle Assembly Building has four doors, each 456 feet tall – 151 feet taller than the Statue of Liberty.
- TIP: Make your coat rack a little tongue-in-cheek by fastening old doorknobs to the door instead of hooks.
- Step 3: Add the coat hooks to the door. Decide their placement and use the tape measure to space them evenly. Then drill holes and screw in the hooks.
- Step 4: Adorn the door as minimally or extravagantly as you wish. Spray adhesive on the back of a piece of decorative fabric and smooth it over the door.
- TIP: If the door has a recessed panel, cut the fabric two inches larger than needed. Tuck the fabric into the panel's edges with a putty knife, and when the adhesive dries, cut away the excess with a utility knife.
- Step 5: Arrange mirrors or pieces of glass over the fabric and fix them in place with the hot glue gun.
- Step 6: Make the door presentable by sanding and then staining or repainting. Use your screwdriver to remove the doorknob and any locks and hinges.