Make your own computer stand that will fit into your cup holder by using PVC pipe, fittings, and a piece of plywood.
- TIP: Consider cutting a hole in the plywood at the position of your laptop's cooling fan.
- Step 1: Drill holes in the flange or drain fitting to match the holes in the plywood. Insert the bolts through the plywood and the drain fitting, and then attach the nuts. The stand should now be attached securely to the cup holder.
- Step 2: Attach Velcro strips to the bottom of your laptop and to the plywood to hold them together.
- FACT: According to the FBI, 97 percent of stolen laptops are never recovered.
- Step 3: Cut the plywood to fit the bottom of your laptop. Use the flange or drain fitting as a template and mark, drill, and countersink four mounting holes in the wood.
- Step 4: Glue one end of the 3-inch length of pipe into the other end of the elbow, and the other end into the other elbow. Glue the remaining 2-inch length of pipe between the other end of the elbow and the flange or drain fitting.
- Step 5: Fit the coupler into your cup holder. If your cup holder is tapered, sand the coupler to get a snug fit.
- Step 6: Use your pipe cutter to cut two 2-inch lengths of pipe, leaving one 3-inch length.
- TIP: There will be slightly more than 3 inches left over, as there is an extra inch of pipe to account for waste from cutting.
- Step 7: Glue one end of one of the 2-inch lengths of pipe into the coupler, and the other end into one end of one of the elbows.
- Step 8: Measure the diameter of your car's cup holder and buy PVC pipe of the same diameter.