Before those avocados go bad, follow these quick and easy tips to make a variety of delicious avocado-based recipes.
- Step 1: Make a sweet whipped topping by omitting the salt and pepper from the avocado puree and adding powdered sugar and whipping cream. Add lime juice, mix it into fruit salad, or use it as a topping for fresh fruit. Enjoy.
- FACT: The avocado tree was introduced to Hawaii in 1825.
- TIP: Make your dip heartier by adding sweet corn and spinach, or make it creamier by adding a few tablespoons of sour cream or softened cream cheese.
- Step 2: Make guacamole by adding chopped tomato and onion to avocado puree. Then stir in a tablespoon each of chopped cilantro and jalapeno peppers. Add hot sauce, and mix it up by adding fresh herbs, such as dill or basil, or minced garlic.
- Step 3: Make avocado mayonnaise by mixing the mayonnaise with 1 cup avocado puree. Add finely chopped parsley or a tablespoon of cilantro and spread the mayonnaise on sandwiches -- or use it as a sauce for beef, chicken, or seafood.
- TIP: Use avocado mayonnaise on corn on the cob in place of butter, and sprinkle it with Parmesan cheese instead of salt.
- Step 4: Make avocado puree by blending the avocados until they are smooth, adding a tablespoon of lime juice, and adding salt and pepper to taste.