You never know when you’re gonna wanna challenge Rob Roy to a man-off—learn to wear a kilt properly and you’ll be prepared.
- Step 1: Hold the kilt around your waist.
- TIP: Make sure the pleats are in the back.
- Step 2: Wrap the kilt around you and attach the right apron to the left buckle. Aim for a snug fit.
- Step 3: Wrap the apron around your waist and attach the left strap to the right buckle.
- Step 4: Fasten the kilt with kilt pins, making sure the kilt is sitting on your waist, above your belly button.
- TIP: If your kilt is well made, it will have a center point where the tartan pattern mirrors itself. Align your shirt buttons with this center line.
- Step 5: Position the sporran—a type of pouch—on the top of the kilt. It should hang just a few inches below the belt buckle.
- Step 6: If you’re going to a formal event, put on a waistcoat.
- Step 7: Yes, technically you shouldn’t be wearing underwear at this point. But if you’re feeling bare, go ahead, it’s ok—put some on. Chances are—we assume!—no one will know either way.
- FACT: Part of the traditional highland garb is the sgian dubh (skee-an-do), or “black dagger,” which is worn in the right stocking.