- Step 1: Wear a dress Wear dress pants or a dress or skirt that is knee-length or longer, if you're a female performer. Avoid plunging necklines, low-cut backs, high slits, or spaghetti straps.
- TIP: Regarding color, black is always appropriate for either sex.
- Step 2: Don a suit Don a suit, if you're a male performer. Dress pants, a buttoned dress shirt, tie, and a sweater or jacket are also acceptable.
- Step 3: Wear appropriate footwear Wear appropriate footwear. Both men and women should avoid athletic footwear, open-toed shoes, and flip-flops. Ladies shouldn't wear clogs or platform shoes.
- TIP: Polish your shoes ahead of time and make sure they're clean.
- Step 4: Remove inappropriate jewelry Remove inappropriate jewelry like rings, if you're a piano player, glitzy or noisy, jingling jewelry, bangle bracelets, wrist corsages, and large watches.
- Step 5: Dress formally Dress as if for a formal occasion if you're sitting in the audience. Avoid tennis shoes, t-shirts, or jeans with holes. Enjoy the music.
- FACT: Composer Franz Liszt was the first to give complete solo piano recitals.
You Will Need