- Step 1: Cut your card stock Cut a standard piece of card stock in half and fold it in half from right to left, lengthwise.
- Step 2: Cut your heart card stock Take another sheet of card stock, fold it in half, and trace and cut a heart shape.
- Step 3: Make a V-fold Create a V-fold at the bottom of the folder heart by making a scored 45-degree fold using a knitting needle or scorer
- Step 4: Make hearts Cut 2 heart shapes within your folded heart but don't cut through all the way.
- Step 5: Fold tabs Taking your base sheet of card stock, fold the tabs on the heart cutout forward to create a V.
- Step 6: Accentuate the hearts Push the center heart back and push the inner heart forward.
- Step 7: Assemble the card Apply double-stick tape to the back of the tabs, align the heart cutout's centerline with the base sheet's, and secure.
Now I'm going to teach you how to make a pop-up heart. I have cut a piece of cardstock in half and also folded it in half. Match the edges and the corners and crease it. Take another sheet of cardstock, fold it in half. And what we are going to do is we're going to draw a big heart shape and cut it out. And keep it folded. This way we know that both sides of the heart are even. Unfold it and now we have a heart.
But before we go any further, we are going to fold it back and we are actually going to make a V-fold out of this. So roughly mark a 45-degree angle. Take your knitting needle or bone folder and a ruler and line up on that angle that you just made and score it. This way you will have a precise fold.
Now what we are going to do is we're going to fold along the score that we just made. Fold it back and then fold it forward. And now we have made a V-fold with little tabs. And so I've already cut out a heart, from a template, a heart that is already a V-fold.
But now what we are going to do is that we're going to create two hearts within it. So cut out one heart shape, but not all the way. So you can make a layer, so you can fold it on either side. And we're going to also cut out a second heart shape within that one, but not all the way again, so that you can create another layer.
So now you can see that we have three hearts. We have one big one, one middle one and one even smaller one in the middle. Take your base page that you've already folded in half, and to create the V-fold for the heart, you will need to fold it back and push the little tabs forward as you fold it to create a V.
Now while we have it half open, we are going to push the center heart back, like so. So you can see that we have a layer right there in the middle of this V-fold heart. And we are also going to push the third heart forward so there is another layer. So your heart should look roughly like this.
Now we are going to do is we're going to put double-stick tape on the underside of the heart on the tabs that you've created, and then again on the other side, underneath the tabs. And unfold it and we are going to line up the center lines of the heart and the base page. Press it down. You may have to help the layers again, kind of pull that second one in and push that third one out as you fold it. And that's how you make a pop-up heart.