- Step 1: Find the main menu Find the main menu on your mobile phone by selecting Menu or Main Menu from the main screen, and then selecting Message.
- TIP: Some phones have the option to select Message from the main screen.
- Step 2: Create new message Select New Message from the message menu, and then select Text Message if you have other options to choose from.
- Step 3: Choose recipient Choose the recipient of the text message by typing their phone number or choosing their number from your list of contacts. Select Ok if prompted.
- Step 4: Type your message Type your message. Use your full alphabet keypad, if you have one, or use your number keypad, for which you need to press a key once to get the first letter, twice for the second, and three times for the third.
- TIP: Check your text capabilities. Most phones have a 160-character limit on text messages.
- Step 5: Use shorthand Use shorthand if typing each word is too time-consuming or if you are nearing your character limit. Popular shorthand includes the letter 'u' for the word you and the letter 'r' for the word are.
- Step 6: Send Hit Send or Ok to send your message when you finish typing it. You’ll join the millions of other people who regularly send text messages.
- FACT: Did you know? In 2008, Americans sent over 1 trillion text messages.
You Will Need
- Mobile phone
- Knowledge of texting shorthand